[arch-general] Removing initrd (For use with GRUB2, LVM, GPT)

Jonathan Vasquez jvasquez1011 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 02:00:18 EST 2012

> I was reading this and it reminded me of what you said Anthony:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
>
> --
> Jonathan Vasquez

I'm definitely going to be moving back to my old drive (with the old
partition style /dev/sda1 EF02, /dev/sda2 ALL LVM (Boot, /, , swap,
home)) and using initramfs.

I just finished reading this page on it:
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Introducing-initramfs-a-new-model-for-initial-RAM-disks/

I have to admit.. I am impressed, the reasons why initramfs was made,
why it replaced initrd, why it was even necessary in the first place,
are very well needed.

I'm now sure I would have regretted permanently staying on a system
without initramfs and it's definitely was stupid (well there were a
few valid reasons why) of me to even think about removing the initrd,
but I'm happy I learned all this info. It was a good experience. But
now time to move back to my simple kernel/initramfs based system with
only 2 parts and 1 has all lvms.

--
Jonathan Vasquez