[arch-general] Mouse C&P not working

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jan 14 06:33:44 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 14:01 +0330, ali.mousavi at gmail.com wrote:

> > I guess to enable this you first need to install the package
> > xf86-input-mouse.
>

> AFAK there is usually no need to install the "xf86-input-mouse" package. my
> mouse is working just fine. copying and pasting using mouse is handled with
> X and it doesn't have anything to do with the driver. Just check your X
> settings or your DE and see if something is wrong.

There are different ways to set up a mouse. It hasn't to be done by any
file inside /etc/X11. On Debian I edited another file, can't remember
it's location. Anyway, wheel emulation could be an issue.

I guess the wheel emulation is a X setting somewhere in /etc, e.g.
xorg.conf and that ominous file I can't remember, but perhaps the option
to use the third button for C&P is a task of the DE.

I want to get rid of the C&P option :D. Shortcuts and mouse options at
the moment are less important for me, so I didn't search for it, I still
try to get an audio out signal :(.

Anyway, there are new issues for the mouse on current Linux. When I was
using Debian I had to get rid of my PS/2 mouse, because the wheel didn't
work. I bought a USB mouse. The USB mouse was ok, but after some
upgrades no mouse worked anymore. For Arch my USB mouse is ok again.

- Ralf