[arch-general] Mouse C&P not working

Don Juan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 15:44:24 EST 2012

On 01/14/2012 03:47 AM, Ralf Madorf wrote:

>>> AFAK there is usually no need to install the "xf86-input-mouse" package. my
>>> mouse is working just fine. copying and pasting using mouse is handled with
>>> X and it doesn't have anything to do with the driver. Just check your X
>>> settings or your DE and see if something is wrong.
>> There are different ways to set up a mouse. It hasn't to be done by any
>> file inside /etc/X11. On Debian I edited another file, can't remember
>> it's location. Anyway, wheel emulation could be an issue.
>>
>> I guess the wheel emulation is a X setting somewhere in /etc, e.g.
>> xorg.conf and that ominous file I can't remember, but perhaps the option
>> to use the third button for C&P is a task of the DE.
>>
>> I want to get rid of the C&P option :D. Shortcuts and mouse options at
>> the moment are less important for me, so I didn't search for it, I still
>> try to get an audio out signal :(.
>>
>> Anyway, there are new issues for the mouse on current Linux. When I was
>> using Debian I had to get rid of my PS/2 mouse, because the wheel didn't
>> work. I bought a USB mouse. The USB mouse was ok, but after some
>> upgrades no mouse worked anymore. For Arch my USB mouse is ok again.
>>
>> - Ralf
> PS:
> FWIW I don't have xf86-input-keyboard installed, but I guess without a
> DE
>
> # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard.conf
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "keyboard"
>         MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
>         Option "XkbLayout" "de"
>         #Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
>
> does set up the keyboard. Can't remember and won't test it now.
>
> Last year I noticed that some thingies that worked the last 9 years with
> Linux stopped working, one of those thingies for me is an old mouse.
> Regarding to X a widespread issue seems to be that the nv driver is
> dropped, fortunately Arch still includes it to the repositories.
I am thankful for that as well or else I would never be able to shutdown
or reboot my laptop. NV driver is the only one that I can get to work
reliably with my video card. Nouveau is even worse of a driver to use
for my card over the proprietary. Its sad I cant use a video driver that
works reliably that's actually being developed. I hope they get X and
nvidia sorted out soon.

About the C&P are you sure that you don't have one of those paste
programs running in the background that you did not configure. I
remember I accidentally got one installed not paying attention to an
install and I had to remove it to get my C&P back to normal.