[arch-general] OT: xf86-video-nv question

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 15 07:04:48 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 12:28 +0100, Stefan Wilkens wrote:
> 2012/1/15 Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>:
> > [snip]
> > It's good that Arch Linux still provide the nv driver, at least Debian
> > dropped it, but it's known that nouveau doesn't work for many users,
> > that there at least is the need to offend the GPL to use the proprietary
> > driver with a kernel-rt, while at the same time an important DE will
> > force people to use 3D acceleration.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ralf
> >

> Slight deviation from the topic here, but relevant:
>
> Work is being done[1] to provide gnome-shell's functionality to users
> without the requirement of GPU acceleration, this is done through the
> LLVMPipe software rasterizer. This does place a SSE2 requirement on
> the CPU but that shouldn't be an issue these days. (pentium 4 and up,
> amd K8 and up)
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering

"Note that software rendering does require sufficient CPU power for a
good experience." SSE2 is very resource hungry, so at least for audio
usage GNOME is lost. I don't like the work flow when using GNOME3, but
I'll install it again and test it, since Xfce without GNOME apps is also
a PITA, e.g. the Xfce Terminal Emulator starts with a delay when I click
the panel's window button. The terminal is the only app that has this
delay.