[arch-general] Audio quirks

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jan 16 06:10:03 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 11:36 +0200, Jesse Jaara wrote:
> Yous hould no't have n eeded to do that. Pulseaudio should only be needed
> by application whick don't do anything without pulseadio. We have libpulse
> package that provides pulseaudio lib for applications linked with PA support
> like mplayer....

Perhaps some KDE app forced Pete to install PA?

I was forced to install it.

GNOME3 force you to install pulseaudio, but at least for my usage it's
not needed, it only cause trouble. I'm not sure if I'll install GNOME3
on my Arch, perhaps I'll test Mate. I used GNOME2 (it was upgraded to 3)
and XFCE with Debian. Currently for my Arch I'm using XFCE only.

For Arch GDM forced me to install PA. I know that there are other login
managers available, but since I guess that I'll install some GNOME apps,
PA might become an issue in the future, so I kept GDM and already
replaced PA by a dummy package.