[arch-general] xf86-video-nv question

Don Juan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 15:23:18 EST 2012

On 01/16/2012 08:07 AM, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 17:28 +0200, Thanasis Georgiou wrote:
>> On the other hard if you can get temperature readings in software
>> level you can send them to a micro controller (Arduino?) which will
>> control the fans accordingly. I think we are a bit offtopic
>> though :) .
> A micro controller needs equipment and knowhow. A circuit easily can be
> build to cause a wanted minimal and a wanted maximal speed.
>
> For my AMD CPU and my PSU with a large fan and my passive graphics
> everything is ok by default, no home improvement needed. But it's not a
> Laptop, such issues seem to be more common for Laptops.
>
> Noise caused by the computer seldom is OT, since we are writing about
> graphics fan noise it's not OT for this thread :).
>
> Btw. if the fan now should be louder than it was some time ago, the
> cause might be dirt.

Yeah I do not feel like hacking up the brand new laptop to get fan
control on the video card while I use this one driver.

To me its not really that big of a deal its not like its overheating,
especially once the cooling pad is on. Just figured I would ask since it
is hard to find actual info about this driver on the net. Or at least I
fail other than the basic info page, everything you read you hear people
saying avoid it at all cost. But I am happy as is, especially since I
can cleanly shutdown and reboot. I do not get the red screen of death or
just the lock up killing X and the black screen with a blinking cursor.

Love this list though, you guys have great info all the time !!