[arch-general] Pacman-key keyring and my own GPG key

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Tue Jan 17 17:38:31 EST 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 23:20:41 +0100
Maciej Mazur <mamciek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just upgraded to pacman 4, and as instructed I executed "pacman-key
> --init". It generated new GPG key "Pacman Keychain Master Key
> <pacman at localhost>" and imported it into pacman keyring.
>
> The question is: should i replace it with my own private GPG key that I
> use normally? I understand that it should all work well with the
> generated one, but since I already have GPG key, then wouldn't it make
> more sense to use it instead of generated one?
>
> If the answer for that question is yes, then is it better to import my
> GPG key into pacman keyring or instruct pacman to use my regular gnupg
> keyring at ~/.gnupg ?
>
> Maciej

No.

Pacman keyring is for package verification. It is located in GPGDir
= /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/ and contains packagers' public keys. Your sec. key is
for your user ONLY. If you make your own packages, sign them and want them to
be verified, you should import your PUBLIC key via pacman-key.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D