[arch-general] Upgrading password hashes

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 18:04:12 EST 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:17:22 -0800
Don Juan wrote:

> Not sure if I am getting what you mean here but to me sounds like you
> did not complete what is in the wiki in regards to running blowfish,
> since you need AUR package and what not and it says there is more to do
> than change a single file to make blowfish the algo.

I know I didn't. Blowfish is stronger but I'm settled with sha512
rather than building a library and fixing any possible fallout in the
future.

Maybe I missed giving a piece of info. The default password is DES which
is really crap and starts with $1 so simply enabling blowfish
in /etc/default/passwd has enabled SHA512, you'd expect to uncomment
SHA512 not blowfish. It seems for sha512 you don't have to do as much as
the wiki suggests anymore.