[arch-general] Kernel 3.2.1 woes

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Sun Jan 22 20:39:31 EST 2012

Hi folks,

just a heads up (and maybe request for feedback whether anybody has seen similar
issues with this kernel upgrade).  The recent upgrade from kernel 3.1.9 to 3.2.1
produced two graphics-related issues:

On my dual-Opteron Asus board with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, the X server fails
to start and says that it cannot initialize the device at PCI 4:0:0 (i.e., my
NVIDIA card).  Downgrading to 3.1.9 fixes this issue.

On my Core i7 Dell Latitude 6510 laptop using the on-chip graphics chip and the
1920x1080 laptop screen, everything is fine until I suspend the machine to RAM.
When resuming, I get a black screen and not even rebooting brings the screen
back to life.  I have to turn the machine off and then back on.

In contrast, my Core i7 desktop at home with an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 450 works just
fine with the 3.2.1 kernel.

I'm in the process of bisecting these issues (currently working on the laptop
issue).  I remember that back in the kernel 2.6.3x days, it took a long time for
the Dell 6510 with 1920x1080 display and Intel graphics to boot without a black
screen at all, and I seem to recall that this was because the patch that made it
work apparently didn't do what it was supposed to do "right".  Maybe they now
found a way to do it right, only it doesn't work, at least after a suspend.

Note that, even though I get a black screen after suspending, the machine is
otherwise alive, as I can blindly switch to a TTY and reboot the machine cleanly
from there.  Bisecting is proving a bit painful because quite a few intermediate
versions I'm testing result in a straight kernel panic after suspend.

Cheers,
Norbert

--

()  ascii ribbon campaign  -  against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org    -  against proprietary attachments