[arch-general] Upgrading password hashes

Sorin-Mihai Vârgolici smv at ceata.org
Mon Jan 23 08:33:37 EST 2012

I believe that if not specified, the default number of rounds is 5000.

I edit /etc/default/passwd [0] and /etc/pam.d/password [1], to be sure
and hope for the best. I also add these lines [2], taken from the Debian
version of the file, to /etc/login.defs.

I've been doing this for about a year or so and I always wondered why
the default in Archlinux was to use MD5 in /etc/pam.d/passwd and DES
in /etc/default/passwd. I see that using DES in /etc/default/passwd is
still the case.

[0] http://ompldr.org/vY2VycA
[1] http://ompldr.org/vY2Vyag
[2] http://ompldr.org/vY2VyeA