[arch-general] Kernel 3.2.1 woes

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Mon Jan 23 20:53:25 EST 2012

Don Juan [2012.01.23 1521 -0800]:
> @Norbert
> Do you have any shutdown or reboot issues? I have a similar setup to
> you only laptop, but if I run the nvidia driver X either gives a red
> screen when I try and shutdown or reboot, or just hangs with a
> cursor blinking. Just curious.

No, I don't have any such issues...well, in part I don't even get that far.

Laptop/intel graphics: Boots/reboots/halts all fine, as long as I don't suspend
to RAM.  After suspend to RAM, screen backlight is on, but screen remains black
until turning the machine off.  Apart from the screen issue, the machine seems
to behave fine.

Opteron desktop/NVIDIA graphics: Boots/reboots/halts all fine.  With 3.1.9
kernel, everything works as expected.  With 3.2.1 kernel, I don't even get as
far as starting X.

i7 desktop/NVIDIA graphics: Everything works as expected with both kernel
versions.

Cheers,
Norbert