[arch-general] Upgrading password hashes

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 07:08:06 EST 2012

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 18:08:56 -0600
C Anthony Risinger wrote:

> further:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/a/1561245/404019
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bcrypt
>
> ... i can't find any literature suggesting sha512 decreases your
> security, and no reason to bother switching.  both are good solutions.

Certainly not worth the effort to me right now, you might be interested
or already know about this though.

"http://www.openbsd.org/papers/bcrypt-paper.pdf"

> `man pam_unix` will give you a good overview of PAM, simply because
> it's the primary module responsible for traditional, file-based login.
>  in a nutshell, PAM looks at the requester's name (the binary), loads
> a config with the same name from /etc/pam.d/{name}, and finally pipes
> your activities through each defined modules in four groups:

Thanks for the info. I find it time-consuming to see what is allowed
and prevented with udev, pam and dbus, polkit etc.. With sudo for
example, it is easy.

--
Kc