[arch-general] root not remounted rw

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Jan 24 15:32:11 EST 2012

Hi there,
on one of my laptops, the one that runs Arch since 2+ years now, root
isn't remounted rw for some reason. Manually remounting ("sudo remount
-r remount,rw /dev/sda3/ /") after boot works fine. There are no errors
in dmesg. This problem persists since a few weeks, the system is fully
updated. I couldn't figure out what the problem could be, so I hope you
could help me on this one.

One additional piece of information, related or not, is that apparently
the mainboard battery has gone flat, the laptop thinks its 2006 after
every boot until ntpd corrects the time. This happened a couple of weeks
before the remount problem showed up, so I doubt it's related.

Things I've tried:
- filesystem check
- SMART check
- re-install of various packages