[arch-general] pacman 4 logic error - what part of 'no' doesn't it understand?

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 09:16:14 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
>  I have found a logic error in pacman (I think). I don't like replacing both
> the kernel and kernel-lts in the same 'pacman -Syu' call. So I answered 'no'
> when prompted to 'Replace kernel26-lts with core/linux-lts? [Y/n] n'. However,
> then pacman fails to install anything because 'linux-lts and kernel26-lts are in
> conflict'.
>
>  When I answered 'n' to Replace kernel26-lts, I expected pacman to ignore
> upgrading that package (and the others I said no to) but proceed forward and
> install the remaining updates. Should I file this as a bug? The full output is
> below:

I think pacman is right. What you asked would make the installation
inconsistent: you don't want to replace kernel-lts and will try to
install linux-lts, which conflicts with the former. I think you should
first use pacman -Syu --ignore linux-lts and, later, pacman -Syu
again. That will have the effect you want.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?