[arch-general] root not remounted rw

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Jan 26 06:43:53 EST 2012

Quoting  (2012-01-24 21:53:55)
>Le mardi 24 jan 2012 à 21:32:11 (+0100), Philipp Überbacher a écrit :
>>
>> Hi there,
>> on one of my laptops, the one that runs Arch since 2+ years now, root
>> isn't remounted rw for some reason. Manually remounting ("sudo remount
>> -r remount,rw /dev/sda3/ /") after boot works fine. There are no errors
>> in dmesg. This problem persists since a few weeks, the system is fully
>> updated. I couldn't figure out what the problem could be, so I hope you
>> could help me on this one.
>>
>> One additional piece of information, related or not, is that apparently
>> the mainboard battery has gone flat, the laptop thinks its 2006 after
>> every boot until ntpd corrects the time. This happened a couple of weeks
>> before the remount problem showed up, so I doubt it's related.
>>
>> Things I've tried:
>> - filesystem check
>> - SMART check
>> - re-install of various packages
>>
>> Regards,
>> Philipp
>Could you show us your /etc/fstab file ?

Thanks Nado,
this was the hint I needed. I compared the fstab entry with the one of
my new Arch install and noticed that it had an entry for /. Once I had
added the entry root was mounted rw as it should be. I don't remember
editing fstab recently so I don't know how this came to be. Maybe the /
entry wasn't needed for a while? I remember a change a couple months
back that suggested the removal of fstab entries.

Anyway, what's the explanation for this behavior? Is / only mounted (and
remounted) ro by default? I guess it's the 'defaults' entry, which
includes rw, that leads to the remount as rw. Is it normal that it is
necessary?

Sorry Nado for only replying to you personally the first time, I'm using
a new mail client that's not as clever as the previous one and I need to
manually tell it to reply to the list, which I tend to forget.

Regards,
Philipp