[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] KDE 4.8.0 hits [testing]

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Fri Jan 27 11:32:06 EST 2012

On 01/27/2012 09:21 AM, Timothée Ravier wrote:
> Le 26/01/2012 08:24, Andrea Scarpino a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>> overnight the mirrors synced the latest stable release of KDE.
>>
>> I had no many time to work on it, so I pushed it in [testing] just to be sure
>> everything's ok.
> As I can't send to arch-dev-public, I'm sending this here:
>
> This release seems good to me. (signoff x86_64 ?)

  First off, New arch user here (was with redhat/fedora since about RH3
or so) - decided to move in this direction ... so far am liking it a lot.

  Thank you!

  I'll get more involved as I find my way round and learn the ways ...
pre-apologies if I'm not familiar with all the protocols yet ..

   That said -

   (1) kde 4.8 - stable and working as its intended best I can tell -
tested on 2 desktops and 1 laptop since last night.

   (2) One smallish potential problem zone on laptop is the new power
applet - profiles are gone and it is no longer possible to choose a
'powersave' vs 'performance' via a toggle.

   If the bug[1] continues where the power applet thinks it is in
battery mode after unplugging A/C, but in fact it is not (screen remains
bright etc) [2] then the old way of 'fixing' it of hand toggling to
performance profile and back to powersave is no longer available (at
least via the power applet).

   So now need a CLI script to avoid battery drain in that case. Seems a
step back.

  There is a toggle to 'turn off power management - useful for
presentations on battery I suppose ... tho when I tried it earlier on
battery it did not seem to restore performance mode for me ... I need to
investigate that further tho'.

   gene

[1] lenovo W520 I7 gen-2 with i915.
[2] I had with all prev kde and up to 3.2.1 kernel.