[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Fri Jan 27 22:21:01 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:41:54 -0600
> schrieb C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me>:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Fons Adriaensen
>> <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Wouldn't most users associate /media with cd, dvd etc. ?
>> > Seems like on odd name for what systemd uses it for.
>>
>> for as long as i remember anyway, the DE will often mount stuff there
>> automatically, ergo it's not safe to put manual mount points there.
>> /mnt is specifically reserved for admin, so /mnt/media is safe.
>
> This is not true. If this is what some DEs are doing, than you should
> file a bug report to the DE's upstream.

well ... gnome3 is doing it right now, and IIRC kde4 did as well, been
quite awhile since i used that though.  i want to say xfce did it too
... but it's been even longer since i used that.  this functionality
is provided thru udisks/dbus, and it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

>> under systemd, /media is a tmpfs.
>
> The same for systemd.

the same what? file a bug? systemd does this because the
mounts/directory structure are ephermal.  there may be other reasons
i'm unaware of, but i don't see a problem.

> There's a Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard which says that /media is
> meant for removable media and /mnt is for temporarily mounted
> filesystems. Whatever the difference between an optical media and a
> temporary filesystem may be.
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MEDIAMOUNTPOINT

yes i'm quite familiar with the FHS, and have read the spec in depth,
as packaging/deployment is of great interest to me.  while my own
designs take the FHS into consideration, there is no reason to believe
their are not better schemes, esp. consideration the current age of
virtualization and usage patterns. IMO at least, the document is
clearly outdated, and i've read more than once that the maintainers
are non-responsive to requests for amendment/alteration.

> I know that Lennart Poettering doesn't care much about Linux standards
> and likes to declare his non working crap as standard. But fortunately
> he is not a standardization authority.
>
> So if a software doesn't follow those FHS you should file a bug report
> to upstream.

well, i can't say i care much about the FHS either.  IMO,
systemd/pulseaudio work fantastic, and are orders of magnitude better
than their predecessors, and only move the ecosystem forward.  i also
make extensive use of avahi/libnss-mdns/libnss-myhost ... soooo, they
seem to work OK ;-)

there are many contributors to these projects ... he's not a one-man band.

> And yes, /media is supposed to contain subdirectories for cd, dvd, etc.
> Nevertheless /media was also invented by SUSE in the past, because
> originally those optical media was also meant to be mounted to
> subdirectories of /mnt. Nevertheless meanwhile FHS was changed to
> include /mnt as well as /media for whatever reasons.

i see no reason to include those directories unconditionally, nor any
reason to avoid alternatives.

--

C Anthony