[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jan 28 09:29:33 EST 2012

OT: PulseAudio

On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 14:02 +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:21:01 -0600
> schrieb C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me>:
> > IMO,
> > systemd/pulseaudio work fantastic, and are orders of magnitude better
> > than their predecessors, and only move the ecosystem forward.
> No, PulseAudio doesn't work fantastic, it's pure crap as long as it
> can't handle every sound and audio card, which ALSA, btw., does
> perfectly out-of-the-box.
>
> And, no, artificially crippling a (semi-)professional audio card down
> to stereo with a strange ALSA configuration is not a solution for this.

The majority of Linux users on non-audio Linux mailing lists praise PA,
OTOH as soon as they run into trouble regarding to PA, the Linux
"pro-"audio users will help them to fix it, usually it's not that
majority of users who praise PA, giving the needed hints.

I always had issues with PA and I never had an issue when I replaced PA
by dummy packages, but seemingly there's a work flow by a majority of
Linux users, where having PA installed is an advantage.

You might take a look at Debian users mailing list. On KDE4 PA is using
2% CPU already when doing nothing. For some people using 2% for nothing
isn't a bug, it's ok for them.

> And why should I trust other software by [someone] if he isn't able to
> get this one software working perfectly.

Why should I trust that a musician is a good drummer, when she's a bad
guitarist? Perhaps because she's a drummer ;).

- Ralf