[arch-general] Another Major glitch now

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jan 28 13:12:34 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 17:39 +0100, G. Schlisio wrote:
> Am 28.01.2012 17:35, schrieb P NIKOLIC:
> > Well it seems no help then     it seems parts are working parts are not  so how do i set about  uninstalling KDE 4.8 and reverting to the previous working version  or is 4.8 the new viersion now if so it has problems
> >
> > Pete .

For the future you should make backups using tar, when booted to another
Linux. Don't sync the backups, always make complete new ones and keep
them for a while, so you are able to go back to different versions, just
in case you shouldn't notice serious bugs directly after making changes.

I'm doing it by a "dirty" script, regarding to globbing it at least
isn't wise to use the asterisk.

#!/bin/sh
# sh ./bak_arch

BACKUP_NAME_ADD="2012-Jan-snap-16.bak"

clear
echo "We are going to backup Arch Linux"
echo "Ensure that /media/archlinux and /media/data2 are mounted."
echo "Press enter to continue."
read any_pushed_key

cd /media/archlinux
clear
echo "Arch Linux backup starting now."
tar czf /media/data2/archlinux/archlinux_$BACKUP_NAME_ADD.tar.gz *

clear
cd /media/data2/archlinux
ls archlinux_*.tar.gz -hAl

exit 0