[arch-general] Arch & ILOM on a Sun Fire X4100

Robert Wall rswall at rswall.com
Sun Jan 29 01:02:43 EST 2012

Hi guys! I have the opportunity to get a sweet deal on a Sun Fire server to
replace my somewhat-antique workstation. Most of the hardware looks like
pretty standard stuff (AMD Opterons, standard RAID 0/1, SAS drives, etc.),
but there's something that's throwing me.

Sun apparently has something called ILOM ("Integrated Lights-Out
Management"). Nearest I can tell, this is a subsystem that monitors drives,
power supplies, and misc. other things within the system.

I would *think* that this should all function separately from (and not
interfere with) the installed OS, but I can't seem to pin that down
concretely.

Does anybody have any experience with this ILOM stuff? Any chance this
server would be a Bad Place to run Arch?

Any information you guys could share would be greatly appreciated!