[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 29 04:46:29 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 07:22 +0800, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2012 3:29 AM, "Tom Gundersen" <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> > <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry, I can't be quiet, because this isn't true.
> >
> > It should be possible, though I don't use Jack, so this is all I know:
> >
> > <http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/JackDbusPackaging>
> >
> > -t
> It is true, using jack 2 and pulse. Lots of hear say and too little actual
> knowledge in these sort of threads... "Alsa works perfectly for me, pulse
> doesn't, it sucks and its maintainer has a secret agenda against all Linux
> pros...."

Are you a professional audio engineer using Linux audio? You're using
Jack DBus? For what kind of productions? What setup do you use?

Even if Jack DBus should be ok for my needs, it's uneconomic to switch
back from familiar setup.

A lot of people need to switch from GNOME to Xfce, not because of PA,
since PA easily can be replaced by a dummy package, but because of other
bad changes. You can't do such hard changes of the work flow in a
professional environment from one day to the other, when several people
are involved.

FWIW I'm jobless at the moment, but my life career is audio and video
engineer for around 30 years, from small studios to world famous
companies. I might have less knowledge about Linux, but I know about
professional audio work flow.

Comments like you makes a majority of engineers use Apple and Windows
for pro-audio, while Linux would be the better choice, if there wouldn't
be such issues and comments like yours.

Regards,

Ralf