[arch-general] New PC and data copying -- am I doing this right?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 29 07:09:51 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 12:44 +0100, Kwpolska wrote:
> It's an OEM, I'm changing PCs, so it won't work.  I am reinstalling
> Windows anyway, because using XP on such machine (3-core AMD Athlon
> 3.4GHz, GeForce GTS450, USB3.0, 4GB RAM) would be a stupid idea.

Did you test wine or virtualization?
I'm using Linux only, but I'm aware that sometimes Windows is needed.
Btw. I would like to use wine for a KORG nanoKONTROL, hardware to
control audio apps on Linux, but it would be nice to run the original
software to program the KORG device. And since I won an iPad 2 I
currently try to get an Apple thingy run on wine, unfortunately there
are still issues with wine for Arch on my machine. I noticed that even
stuff that at work run on Windows, often run at Linux too, e.g. when I
worked for Brauner microphones Eagle was software we look at, such
amazing software is available for Linux too. Perhaps you've got good
reasons to install Windows, if not, try wine or try to install Windows
to a virtual machine, since this at least could save the trouble to
reboot.

- Ralf

PS, not important:
> Okay then, I don't think I'd get more responses than that.  I think
> I'll choose C Anthony Risinger's solution, because I trust rsync more
> than regular cp.

Just to copy and not to sync, they're doing the same. While I haven't
thought about links, since it's not an issue on my machine, cp -pr isn't
optimal, as somebody mentioned cp -a is the way to go. IMO rsync has to
many options that could cause issues, when new to rsync. I suspect that
globbing will be the same as it is for cp. Anyway, both are better than
dd for your task.