[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sun Jan 29 16:22:22 EST 2012

Am Sun, 29 Jan 2012 18:35:07 +0100
schrieb Jelle van der Waa <jelle at vdwaa.nl>:

> Indeed, this should be the thing the complainers _should_ be doing.
> Archlinux ships vanilla upstream, so you're really barking at the
> wrong tree here. Please  consider asking either PA for help or ditch
> it.

I don't think this is the totally wrong place, maybe not the very best,
but not the worst. Because even if this mailing list is generally
distribution specific and the Arch Linux devs try their best to keep PA
optional, it's not quite unlikely that other people read this mailing
list.

Sometimes important changes come from downstream to upstream. Tom also
mentioned that regarding the FHS. He told me - I'm not sure anymore if
he did this on the list or in a private e-mail - that the new directory
structures are first tested in the distros and then will be worked into
the new FHS. So those new directory structures are first discussed in
the distro specific mailing lists, too, like it has been done on this
list with the discussion about /var/run and /run recently.

So I think those discussions don't necessarily need to, but can be
quite important.

If nobody opens his mouth no matter where, nothing will change.

Heiko