[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jan 29 18:43:25 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:28:00AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 23:11 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > A trained audio engineer knows how to find out
> > such things and get them right, but the average user is completely
> > lost if there is more than one control that affects volume.
>
> So I have translated the text correctly. Comparing two 1s sinus signals
> at what frequency ever, in a chain of faders, one sinus signal after the
> other, by listening, for calibrating. Good luck!

Yes, it's nonsense, there's no good solution for this.

And, correcting myself, in a sense it's ALSA's fault. On Windows
almost every soundcard has its own specific driver and mixer app.
So things can be initialised to defaults that work. ALSA tries
to have as much common code as possible. It makes sense from a
SW engineering point of view, but it is completely out of touch
with reality.

Besides all that: Ralf, it would probably enhance your 'street
value' on the Arch list if you could restrain yourself a bit.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.