[arch-general] change in mount behaviour?

Bernardo Barros bernardobarros2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 23:33:17 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens at gmail.com> wrote:
> You seem to possess the misconception that the existence of PA on a
> system is somehow in conflict with pro-audio software.

It's true that professional users typically make some compromises to
have the best  system for audio.
But.. not using PulseAudio isn't really a compromise, one is not
losing anything.

There are other kind of examples.
Professional musicians are not interested in battery file but in a
system with realtime preemption tuned for performance.
There is no joy in a long battery life with lots noises coming out of
the speakers... Not for most of them at least.

PulseAudio is even worse. It does not work at all for professional
sound cards and professional audio software.
What's the point to have it, since it's a complex and buggy system and
you can have exactly the same features
using alsa, jack and alsa-plugins?

Professional audio system with low latency requires other set of priorities.

Arch is filling this need as far as I see. One can set such a system
very easily.
But some care is wise to keep things simple, including not enforcing
the use of useless heavy tools.