[arch-general] Nvidia Driver issues

Don deJuan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 12:49:56 EST 2012

On 01/30/2012 08:23 AM, Karol Babioch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 30.01.2012 13:33, schrieb Kevin Chadwick:
>> I know nothing about the binary blob on arch but download the more
>> upto date blob from nvidia.com for my TVs running mythbuntu,
>
> Well, Arch is a rolling release distro and it usually takes just hours
> to a few couple of days until the official releases hit the repositories ;).
>
> Sure enough, the Arch package is up to date, so this shouldn't be a
> problem. As long as you don't run a custom kernel you don't have to
> worry about any kernel modules either.
I am on the stock arch kernel. I verified my card is still supported by
the main blob. I normally do download the blob directly and install it
on other OS's but its the same version through pacman as on the site
right now.

> Am 30.01.2012 08:47, schrieb Don deJuan:
>> If anyone has any other tips/suggestions I am open to them. Thanks for
>> your time.
>
> Obviously I don't know that much about the nvidia package myself, so
> unfortunately there isn't much I can tell you. When running into the
> already mentioned problems with the closed source driver, I was pointed
> to [1], which seems to be the official place to go when running into
> trouble.
>
> Just another guess: Have you tried any other distro (or even Windows for
> that matter) in order to exclude any kind of hardware defect?

Fedora15, Debian-Sid both run without the shutdown/reboot issue that I
have on Arch, both I am using the exact same Nvidia blob. Windows also
works fine as well.

> Best regards,
> Karol Babioch
>
> [1] http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Thanks for the link, I will check it out and post there if this
continues after more testing. Though I did gain some ground last night.

I re read the wiki again and went through each step then hit the issues
section and found a part I either skipped before or thought was not
relevant for some reason but adding in:
options nvidia NVreg_Mobile=2 (since mine is a non-copal toshiba)
removed xorg.conf
did not boot with pcie_aspm=force those times also did not issue
shutdown as shutdown -rF 1 I just did the standard 0 and worked.

It seems I am able to shutdown/reboot now. I tested it rebooting and
shutting down 5 times before passing out for the night, and successfully
did 4 out of 5.

What I am noticing now, is the red screen I was seeing flashes for a
brief second then shutdown finishes. So my best (which probably is not
that good) guess is that when nvidia goes to switch either from runlevel
5 to 6 or when nvidia is shutting down Xorg that is where I see that red
screen flash. Something is not happy during that period. Generally its
just wifi that is running when shutting down, though I have tried it
with and without wifi running and had same issues.

Again thanks for both of you guys trying to help! I will test with my
new settings for another day and if all seems good I will mark this as
solved and put a link to the wiki page for reference.