[arch-general] offtopic ml (WAS eons ago: Re: change in mount behaviour?)

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon Jan 30 13:43:55 EST 2012

Am Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:14:01 -0600
schrieb C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me>:

> not always, and i use a mobile 70%+ of the time.  i don't want to
> create a new filter for every long-winded thread to nowhere.  maybe i
> can create a label -> trash, and flag multiple conversations ... maybe
> i can't.  why should i?

Because you don't want to see those e-mails.

What do you think to how many mailing lists I am subscribed and in how
many threads I'm not interested even on arch-general, aur-general etc.
You know what I do with those threads? What anyone else would do. I
just ignore them and delete those e-mails, because they may be
important and interesting to other people, maybe to the devs, but not
to me.

Do I tell the people to shut up and not discuss their Nvidia problems
because I have an ATI card and am not affected by Nvidia issues?

For me discussions about Nvidia are not necessary, for Nvidia users
they likely are. For you discussions about PA may be unnecessary, for
pro-audio users they are important. Or what do you mean, why there came
so much feedback from so many people incl. pro-audio users and why
this thread got that long?

If your mobile is not capable to handle such e-mail filters, just don't
use your mobile for reading such mailing lists or buy a more capable
one.

> ... you know what's way cooler? believing others are capable of
> respecting each other's time, and the reason others join a list in the
> first place (ie. the expected boundaries).

Oh, you mean because I should respect your time I should shut up and
suspend my judgement? You really mean I should let myself censored
because of your time? What about respecting other people's opinion?

If such a discussion is unimportant to you and you're not interested in
it, just ignore it.

I think such a discussions like this one about PA is important, even if
it's on an Arch related mailing list. But the problem with PA e.g.
resp. this ongoing dependency hell is a general one and Arch is part of
the "general" Linux community. And probably such a discussion
is read by other more "important" people and then brought to the "right"
place, etc.

And again, this discussion about PA has evolved from an Arch related
topic. So should this discussion just be stopped, because it gets
off-topic somehow and you are not interested in it?

I guess you should think about that.

Heiko