[arch-general] User actions following system package upgrades?

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 17:20:09 EST 2012

On Thursday 26 Jan 2012 11:26:11 Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> > I know that due to the way the kernel is upgraded, it is best to save
> > kernel upgrade until the system can be rebooted,
>
> Surely there is no point upgrading the kernel unless you are going to
> reboot thereby loading in the new kernel and you could keep the old
> modules.

Well, I usually find it a bit of a pain to have to remember to update the
kernel before rebooting.  Also, since I usually suspend rather than shutting
down, I have to actually remember to update the kernel and reboot at some
point.  I usually do that when a decent number of important packages get
updated and I think "I'm probably about due a reboot; I might as well".  I
wish there were a better metric for this, though.

Paul