[arch-general] Merge /bin to /usr/bin?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Jan 31 07:50:27 EST 2012

Hi Kevin,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Should /bin and /sbin contain all the statically built execs to
> increase the reliability of single user mode.

Nah, we don't really build static binaries, and /usr must be available
even in single user mode. IMHO /bin and /sbin are no longer useful.

> I see udev creating directories in /media as a problem for the goal of
> read only systems, unless it is on it's own partition. Personally I use
> udev rules to mount to /mnt/usb0, /mnt/usb1 etc. making it consistent
> and logical to human users and sudoers, not to mention the problem of
> stupidly long named directories on occasion making escaping required
> or copying on the commandline.

Two comments:

This can be solved by making /media a tmpfs and require its subdirs to
be recreated on demand (as systemd does).

udev should never, ever mount stuff itself. This is dangerous and
explicitly not supported. Consider using systemd, udisks or another
daemon for this purpose. For more info about this, see the recent
discussion on the linux-hotplug mailinglist.

> Anyway here's some food for thought you might find interesting about FHS
> compared to the OpenBSD way of doing things. The thread has some other
> useful thoughts too.
>
> "http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=130503366832069&w=2"

Thanks, that's an interesting read. Notice how a majority of his
concerns would go away if /bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin all pointed to
/usr/bin. That whole thread very clearly illustrates the challenges
the FHS faces.

-t