[arch-general] Country Name (ISO-3116) Issues

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Jul 1 18:29:45 EDT 2012

On 02/07/12 05:49, Loui Chang wrote:
> On Sun 01 Jul 2012 21:23 +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:

>>> I agree. I'm very disappointed by the response of Dave Reisner on that
>>> bug report. The reality is that the PRC does not have jurisdiction or
>>> claim over Taiwan. When standards are false they should not be followed.
>>>
>>> Dave: Can you educate yourself a little about the Republic of China and
>>> Taiwan vs the People's Republic of China, before making a final
>>> decision? Thank you.
>>
>> This has been discussed a number of times. While no one has so far
>> questioned the validity of the bug, the consensus seems to be that
>> this should be taken upstream [0].
>>
>> I hope it is clear that no offense is intended, and that we do not
>> want to make any political judgments (and hence defer to the UN).
>>
>> [0]: <http://www.iso.org/iso/updates_on_iso_3166.html>.
>
> Gimme a break. These kind of political issues aren't solved by "taking
> it upstream". Since when are politicians or people under the influence
> of politics known for their outstanding adherence to logic and reason?
> It's not such a simple technical thing that you can "take it upstream."
> If you have any idea how the ISO works you will wake up to the fact of
> how ridiculous that suggestion is. If Taiwan (ROC) can't get it to
> happen, what do you expect of us?
>
> But as has been suggested maybe Arch should choose a different upstream
> for this kind of information. Please open your mind a little, a false
> standard is no standard at all.

Well...  this discussion will go nowhere...  And I should point out that
most developers are now not subscribed from this list because of its low
signal-to-noise ratio so this thread will likely not get to the right
people.

The solution is to find us a different upstream that has any sort of
standards backing. This is just like Arch's policy with software.  We do
not patch because a feature is not the way we like it.

Allan