[arch-general] Country Name (ISO-3116) Issues

Devon Sawatzky s4wa7z at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 01:25:52 EDT 2012

As Gaetan pointed out, it is not the job of Linux distribution maintainers
to decide country names. But it seems to me this whole issue is not really
about deciding what to name a country as that decision has already been
made by many. The fact is simply that the data being used does not
accurately reflect the world as most see it today.

If this is not the case and this is in fact a political debate, then I am
wrong, but it appears to me this is a technical debate about whether it is
the responsibility of Arch, or someone else to implement the change. I
would like to suggest that this is a fairly trivial change, so whether Arch
"is supposed to" change the name is irrelevant. The fact remains that,
regardless of whether they are obligated to change it or not, it is an easy
thing to do that would be very positive for a lot of people. A good
solution it seems would be to implement a temporary workaround and apply
pressure upstream for a permanent fix using the weight of Arch's influence.

Devon