[arch-general] cpufreq stopped working

Martin Zecher mzecher at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 12:23:37 EDT 2012

Thanks a lot Leonid.

When I said that the problem also happened with kernel 3.3.8, I was wrong
(because that time I forgot modprobing acpi_cpufreq). So, I just tested
different kernel versions and this started happening with 3.4.0; it works
fine until 3.3.8. And the problem is present in both vanila en -ck versions.

I think that booting from LiveCD isn't necessary since the bug seems pretty
clear, or so you think that I should also test another distribution with
linux 3.4? I don't think that there are already LiveCD's available with
such a recent kernel.

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 11:10:07 -0400
> Martin Zecher <mzecher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot for your help Leonid.
> >
> > I don't know if this list allows attachments, so I better send you a
> link:
> > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/208940/journalctl
> >

> Please report it to https://bugzilla.kernel.org/ because this is something
> specific to your motherboard (MSI MS-1651). The relevant part starts with
> "BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at (null)". But
> before,
> I would suggest booting from an arch (stable kernel 3.0.3) or another
> distro
> iso to verify that it's an issue with the latest kernel. In case of arch
> you'll have to manually modprobe acpi_cpufreq, other livecds might load it
> automatically, e.g. opensuse 12.1 (kernel 3.1.0; not sure about earlier
> versions) definitely does.
>

> > On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu>
> wrote:

> problem
> > > is
> nothing at

> > > cpufreq

> What
> > >
> > > Yes, it's what they call CPU driver autoprobing:
> > >

> http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.4#head-9df4e508cb97f4e138c590b9ccff3e0eda6cc7fc
> > > .
> > >
> > > Basically, if your CPU supports scaling, the corresponding driver will
> be
> > > loaded automatically. This and the fact that arch kernel now defaults
> > > ONDEMAND governor (CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y, FS#28778),
> > > eliminates the need for userspace tools and explicit module loading.
> > >
> > > If you want just default scaling (within hw defaults), you don't have
> to do
> > > anything beyond enabling speedstep/coolnquiet in BIOS. But if you want
> > > see
> > > various info, control frequency range (to downclock, for instance) or
> > > change
> > > the governor from the userspace, you'll have to install either
> cpupower or
> > > cpufrequtils. Of course, you could achive some of it functionality by
> > > simply
> > > echoing parameters to corresponding files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/*.
> > >
> > > If you need to control frequency based on acpi events, you'll probably
> need
> > > cpupower: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_Frequency_Scaling.

> from
> you

> 3
> making any

> Try

> > > --
> > > Leonid Isaev
> > > GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D
> > > Fingerprint: C0DF 20D0 C075 C3F1 E1BE  775A A7AE F6CB 164B 5A6D
> > >

> --
> Leonid Isaev
> GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D
> [...]

Código de novios Falabella: 585855-00 (gracias!)

No envíen archivos pesados por mail.
Usen DropBox <https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIwODk0MDk> (2GB + *500MB
bonus*) o SpiderOak<https://spideroak.com/download/referral/dd6b3051b5f1f10a5674d694f22dd3e8>(tras
registrarse vayan a 'buy more space' e ingresen el código
"worldbackupday" --> *8GB*)