[arch-general] Leap seconds ntp and chrony?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Jul 2 14:30:04 EDT 2012

On 07/02/2012 12:13 PM, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On 02/07/12 19:09, mike cloaked wrote:
>> >There has been a fair amount of disruption to systems over a
>> >widespread geographic area due to the mutex leap second bug from
>> >midnight Saturday, and from what I read this was triggered by ntpd
>> >calling specific routines from the kernel - does anyone know if the
>> >same bug has also hit systems using chrony if that was in use instead
>> >of ntp?
>> >
>> >I guess that the kernel patches being written by John Stulz at
>> >https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/1/203  will filter through to a kernel
>> >update at some point?
>> >
> If you don't have problems now, you don't even need to worry. Else just
> reboot

The biggest problems I saw were with java based apps. I was running a couple
of minecraft servers for my kids and as soon as the leap second was inserted:

/var/log/kernel.log.1:Jun 30 18:59:59 archangel kernel: [268959.468848] Clock:
inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC

minecraft servers on both boxes errored out with "Has system time changed --
unable to keep up" errors. Simply stopping and starting the applications was
_not_ enough, it required a complete reboot of the system before
minecraft_server in particular would run again.

I wondered how widespread the disruption would be, but just judging from my 2
boxes -- I knew it would be fairly widespread.

My setup was with dcron and ntp.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.