[arch-general] Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:42:39 EDT 2012

D. R. Evans said the following at 06/20/2012 11:27 AM :
> I have carefully followed the RAID instructions at:
>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Software_RAID_and_LVM#RAID_installation
>
> I have not used LVM, just RAID. I have double-checked what I actually did, and
> believe that I did exactly what the page tells me to do.
>
> I have two identical drives, which I configured as RAID1.
>
> At the conclusion of the installation, the instructions say:
>
> ----
>
> Once it is complete you can safely reboot your machine:
>
> # reboot
>
> ----
>
> When I try to reboot, I receive the error message:
>   ERROR: device /dev/md0 not found
>   ERROR: unable to find root device /dev/md0
>
> What do I have to do to get past this error?

I have finally reached the point where the various /dev/md<n> devices mount
during the reboot....

Now I get a large number of error messages of the form:
  init: failed to create pty - disabling logging for job
and:
  could not load /lib/modules/3.4.4-2-ARCH/modules.dep no such file or directory
on the console, and then the system appears to simply halt, without completing
the reboot.

What are these messages trying to tell me, and how do I fix them so that the
reboot can complete?

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR