[arch-general] /etc/os-release: Suggestions for improvements

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 3 04:28:38 EDT 2012

Am 03.07.2012 01:16, schrieb Karol Babioch:
> First of all I'm wondering why HOME_URL is set to the plain HTTP version
> of archlinux.org, whereas the other two links are set to the secure
> HTTPS version. This doesn't seem to be consequent. The example shows
> that Fedora is using the HTTPS version for both the HOME_URL as well as
> the BUG_REPORT_URL.

The bbs and bug tracker are https-only. If you would go to the http
link, you would be redirected to https. A user cannot login on the main
website or send any sensitive information to it, so there is no need to
force it to https.

> After reading the appropriate man page (see [2]), I think the parameter
> SUPPORT_URL is not appropriate. It is set to
> "https://bbs.archlinux.org/". Personally I have some sort of a problem
> with the fact that only the forums get mentioned as a source for
> support.

Arch Linux is a community-supported OS, and the bbs is appropriate as a
support URL.

> Personally I don't use the forums very often, but do make use
> of the mailing lists and the *really* great wiki much more heavily.
> Furthermore there are the various IRC channels, which probably are used
> by some of you.
>
> Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be some sort of a landing page,
> summarizing all the different ways you can ask/look for help, e.g.
> something like "https://www.archlinux.org/support/". Probably this would
> be the best solution.

Not a bad idea at all. As always, you can send a patch against
https://projects.archlinux.org/archweb.git/ to include that landing page
or submit a bug to the "Web Sites" category via
https://bugs.archlinux.org/newtask/proj1.