[arch-general] Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 04:35:37 EDT 2012

On Monday 02 Jul 2012 13:42:39 D. R. Evans wrote:
> I have finally reached the point where the various /dev/md<n> devices mount
> during the reboot....
>
> Now I get a large number of error messages of the form:
>   init: failed to create pty - disabling logging for job
> and:
>   could not load /lib/modules/3.4.4-2-ARCH/modules.dep no such file or
> directory on the console, and then the system appears to simply halt,
> without completing the reboot.
>
> What are these messages trying to tell me, and how do I fix them so that the
> reboot can complete?

When you say "reboot", you're saying that these messages appear as ArchLinux
is trying to boot (after grub), right?  Not as it's shutting down?

Could you list the messages that appear before the error messages, so that we
can get an idea of what stage you've got to in the boot process?

Like David, I also think this smells like an initramfs issue, and chances are
that if you can chroot into your system somehow and run "mkinitcpio -p linux",
it might help.

Paul