[arch-general] /etc/os-release: Suggestions for improvements

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Jul 3 07:35:28 EDT 2012

Hi Karol,

Thanks for your input. I'm answering to your original email, but I
read the whole discussion...

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:
> First of all I'm wondering why HOME_URL is set to the plain HTTP version
> of archlinux.org, whereas the other two links are set to the secure
> HTTPS version. This doesn't seem to be consequent. The example shows
> that Fedora is using the HTTPS version for both the HOME_URL as well as
> the BUG_REPORT_URL.

I changed this in svn, will be included in the next filesystem release.

> After reading the appropriate man page (see [2]), I think the parameter
> SUPPORT_URL is not appropriate. It is set to
> "https://bbs.archlinux.org/". Personally I have some sort of a problem
> with the fact that only the forums get mentioned as a source for
> support. Personally I don't use the forums very often, but do make use
> of the mailing lists and the *really* great wiki much more heavily.
> Furthermore there are the various IRC channels, which probably are used
> by some of you.
>
> Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be some sort of a landing page,
> summarizing all the different ways you can ask/look for help, e.g.
> something like "https://www.archlinux.org/support/". Probably this would
> be the best solution. It looks like Fedora isn't mentioning a support
> URL at all, so maybe this would also be an option for us also?

If and when such a page is created, I'll be happy to change the url to
point to it.

> Furthermore I'm wondering whether we should look into the Common
> Platform Enumeration (CPE) specification (see [3]) in order to apply for
> an entry. From what I can tell it doesn't cost anything, but you have to
> contact the NVD CPE team, see [4]. Obviously this should be done by
> someone officially connected to Arch Linux.

Why would we want this? I don't know much about it, so if there are
good reasons I'm interested to learn.

-t