[arch-general] Leap seconds ntp and chrony?

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 11:42:04 EDT 2012

> > What I mean by similar to is if it doesn't benefit you,
> > you will have less bugs and a more stable and secure system by reducing
> > code usage.
>
> Are you just saying that people who don't need an NTP daemon are better
> off not running one?

Yep and many who think they do need one may well not need one. I
think stories of RTC inaccuracy are exaggerated due to those who really
need very accurate clocks and so getting rather annoyed. PC hardware is
designed with just it's RTC and no ntp in mind after all.

Some distros like Ubuntu seem to assume (or did) that no one would ever
want to switch ntp off. I wonder if any ubuntu server users have had any
issues there recently. I guess they wouldn't have known until it was
too late though?