[arch-general] Leap seconds ntp and chrony?

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 15:06:33 EDT 2012

> If you have a
> mercurial/git installation even in a small group, I am sure you'll prefer
> accurate timestamps in your commit history. And the list goes on...

I believe an RTC is perfectly capable of that.

> > Some distros like Ubuntu seem to assume (or did) that no one would ever
> > want to switch ntp off. I wonder if any ubuntu server users have had any
> > issues there recently. I guess they wouldn't have known until it was
> > too late though?
> >

> That is a reasonable assumption (windows vista/7 makes it too, btw). The only
> downside may be CPU wakeups caused by ntp, but that's the chrony story.

On systems where lots is enabled by default it is perhaps a reasonable
assumption to run ntp by default, if it truly wakes the cpu then I'd
say that default is wrong too. It is not reasonable to force users to
chmod 000 ntp because init configuration is being ignored which was the
case for atleast one Ubuntu release.

Windows 7 does the same as XP, enabled by default but can be switched
off in atleast three places. Time config, Windows Time service and Group
policy.