[arch-general] Leap seconds ntp and chrony?

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Wed Jul 4 19:11:17 EDT 2012

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 22:06:27 +0100
Mauro Santos <registo.mailling at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04-07-2012 21:00, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> >>
> >> I believe an RTC is perfectly capable of that.
> >
> > I tried to find some data on what to expect from RTC's. I was not very
> > successful, except finding people citing 80-100PPM as typical drift
> > rates (~8 secs/day).
>
> From data I have access to, taken from machines running ntpd, I can say
> the following about the drift in PPM stored in ntpd's drift file:
>
> my laptop: -9.699
> machine 1: -8.762
> machine 2: -443.266
> machine 3: -35.417
>
> Machine 1 is the newest and machine 3 is the oldest.

AFAIK comparing RTCs on different machines is meaningless because there seem
to be no quality handle for RTC. So, RTC may exist or not, but you can't
choose (and therefore guarantee) to have a good RTC, at least on consumer (not
server) motherboards. NTPD on the other hand implements a protocol $\equiv$
standard.

FWIW, my driftfile yields +6.982ppm which I guess is good compared to yours.

Re machine 2 -- I bet your CMOS battery is dying.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D