[arch-general] Stateless Arch

Damjan gdamjan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 04:10:07 EDT 2012

Has anyone done any research on stateless ArchLinux instances.

A stateless Arch would be one where the root filesystem is mounted
read-only and nothing changes there. Thus it can mounted over network
(using NFS, NBD and similar) by several, diskless, PCs at the same time.

I plan to have per user HOME directories on a server (again NFS or
similar), and users credentials in LDAP.

/var/run beeing a link to a tmpfs /run, and by using systemd-journal
without /var/log/journal (it will store logs in memory) a lot of things
avoid hitting the disk already.

I'd use connman for handling the net connection and it seems to require
a writable /var/lib/connman/

Anyone with any experience with this?

--
дамјан