[arch-general] Stateless Arch

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Mon Jul 9 05:12:01 EDT 2012

On 09.07.2012 10:10, Damjan wrote:
> Has anyone done any research on stateless ArchLinux instances.
>
> A stateless Arch would be one where the root filesystem is mounted
> read-only and nothing changes there. Thus it can mounted over network
> (using NFS, NBD and similar) by several, diskless, PCs at the same time.

Thomas told me that he set up an initramfs that allows to fetch the
rootfs using rsync. That way you save quite some bandwidth, gain speed
and you can keep the "old" system if you don't want newer software. You
also won't have to worry about breaking software running on a client
when updating the base system on the server (changes in config
files/libraries that are (re)loaded during runtime, resource files, ...).

This will however require (albeit small) disks in the clients.

--
Florian Pritz