[arch-general] util-linux pacman error, file conflicts (safe to force?)

Daniel Wallace daniel.wallace at gatech.edu
Mon Jul 9 12:11:11 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 04:52:08PM +0100, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 9 July 2012 16:49, David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> > Tom, All,
> >
> >   I ran into the following error regarding util-linux upgrade. I've looked
> > in the forum and the website, but nothing specific to it. The error is:
> >
> > (72/72) checking for file conflicts
> > [###########################################] 100%
> > error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
> > util-linux: /bin/login exists in filesystem
>
> > [...]
>
> Check the ArchLinux ARM forum:
>
> http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3036&p=18467
>
> where filesystem upgrade is suggested:
>
> pacman -Syuf
>
> But, I'd wait until someone confirms it is the right way to go.
>
> Best regards,
> --

never -Syuf
never -Suf
never force an upgrade

if anything you can do -Sf for one package at a time...
but _do not_ for an upgrade.

It will cause problems when you have upgrades like when pam  had the
stuff that is in pambase... pambase was installed and took control of
the files in /etc/pam.d then when pambase upgraded, it removed those
file, causeing sudo to not work and making it so the user couldn't login