[arch-general] BTRFS + Rollback + Subvolumes

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Thu Jul 12 01:34:06 EDT 2012

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:31:59 -0500
C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> wrote:

> i would recommend dropping the subvols ASAP, and reviewing the
> original wiki linked above.

Hmm...at the moment I use RAID-1 - 1 RAID partition for /boot
(ext2), another for the swap and rest for the / & /home (ext4) along
with LVM2.

Prospect of moving to btrfs is that we believe it would be possible to
reduce one layer and have similar setup to the one on FreeBSD with ZFS.

Now, I wonder why to drop subvols (I would not many, but, at least, to
separate / & /home)?

> alas, i've heard -- and "seemingly" confirmed -- inklings that GRUB2
> now supports booting from a btrfs subvol -- the magic feature required
> to perform kernel-level rollbacks! yay! as i have long since used
> GRUB2 on all my machines and am somewhat familiar with scripting it, i
> expect to make some extensive updates soon-ish-ly.

What about syslinux which we use at the moment?

> i'm not sure how relevant/beneficial this discussion can be for
> everyone else here (though in general, the use-case itself is
> certainly worthy of discussion) -- should you have pointed/specific
> questions/problems feel free to ask in the AUR comments.

I believe it is and that is expected that many Arch users are not
interested for 'automatic partitioning' offered by Ubuntu installer. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Therefore, without being attached to the fruits of activities,
one should act as a matter of duty, for by working without