[arch-general] arch with a specific kernel version

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 12 10:22:40 EDT 2012

Am 12.07.2012 16:11, schrieb andrea crotti:
> I would like to create multiple arch linux installations with a
> specific (a quite old 2.6 version) kernel version.
> Is that in theory possible/easy?
>
> I have a new one recently created but the downport doesn't seem so
> easy, so maybe it would just be easier to start with an older one,
> any suggestions??

In general, installing old kernels is a simple matter of compiling them
and adding them to the bootloader.

That said, Arch's C library will not work with anything older than
2.6.32. This is not fixed by merely recompiling glibc, virtually no
package will work unless you recompile it.

Other tools (like udev) might even require newer kernels for proper
operation. We know that 3.0 works, every older release is untested.