[arch-general] must be root to ping?

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 12:35:19 EDT 2012

On 14-07-2012 17:03, Jesse Juhani Jaara wrote:
> la, 2012-07-14 kello 17:00 +0100, Mauro Santos kirjoitti:
>> Is the partition mounted with nosuid?
> Nope.

Jumped the gun too fast, after reading a bit of the man pages I'd say
extended attributes might be to blame.

The output of 'dumpe2fs -h /path/to/partition' may be of some help. The
only filesystem attribute that seem to me to be related with this
problem is 'ext_attr'. I'm not sure if mounting with nouser_xattr might
have some influence.

One funny thing is that 'man capabilities' says:
"The file capability  sets  are  stored  in  an extended attribute (see
setxattr(2)) named security.capability."

'attr -l /usr/bin/ping' lists 'capability' as an attribute, however
neither 'attr -g capability /usr/bin/ping' or 'attr -g
security.capability /usr/bin/ping' can get the stored value. 'getcap
/usr/bin/ping' does return the correct value.

Things work fine for me but it seems that either the man page is not
completely up-to-date, I'm missing something or less likely there is a
bug somewhere.

--
Mauro Santos