[arch-general] DeveloperWiki:usrlib - Note -> rebuild any needed packages *before* attempting update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Jul 15 18:20:03 EDT 2012

On 07/15/2012 04:52 PM, Daniel Wallace wrote:
> I missed your part about rebuilding before doing pacman -Syu --ignore
> glibc, that should be unnecessary as the files will be available in
> /usr/lib

libpam provided the only problem. When the initial pacman -Syu --ignore glibc
moved libpam* from /lib to /usr/lib, it left the system unable to build packages
that required libpam. I guess the search-path information was hardcoded in the
configure.in. I rebuilt the packages that needed rebuilding (hal, shadow
(modified), and virtualbox (aur)) on a second box and rsynced the new binaries
to the box that was partially updated. After installing the new packages that
removed all ownership from /lib (except for glibc), the final 'pacman -Su'
completed fine.

Progress is always a bit trying, but all in all, Arch did a good job with the move.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.