[arch-general] my Arch box randomly becomes irresponsible

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon Jul 16 06:06:52 EDT 2012

Am Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:06:01 -0400
schrieb Not To Miss <not.to.miss at gmail.com>:

> Dear Arch users,
>
> I have latest Arch installed on my desktop at work. In recent two
> weeks, the system randomly "suspends" at night (I call it "randomly"
> because it didn't happen every night. And it seems to happen after a
> random period idle time) when I am off. I can't wake it up in the
> next morning thru mouse or keyboard.
>
> I tried to disable suspension and hibernation by editing
> /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.policy to change
> from
> <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
> <allow_active>no</allow_active>
>
> But it doesn't work.
>
> While I call it "suspend", I am not sure it suspend to RAM or
> hibernate to disk, because I find the CPU fan and power fan still
> spin normally. RAM light is also on. So it might be a video driver /
> setting related issue. For your information, I am using
> nvidia-302.17-2-x86_64 and have dual monitor set up with
> nvidia-utils-302.17-1-x86_64
>
> This really bothers me a lot. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Another question, probably not related to this. What about SMP?
Do you have a multi core CPU? And do you also have instabilities,
probably including kernel panics, if you run tasks which use both cores
under heavy load like compiling the kernel from ABS or converting
videos e.g. ripping a DVD with HandBrake or something like that,
particularly when X is running at the same time?

Heiko