[arch-general] Installing without using AIF?

Martin Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Tue Jul 17 07:20:05 EDT 2012

> That's a good point. Gentoo for example has a good in-depth
> explanation of all the steps involved in an installation. Maybe some
> inspiration can be taken from there.

Hi all.
While indeed Gentoo have a detailed step-by-step guide to install the
system I also find it somewhat boring and burdensome, but the really
important thing here is that they have the install guide that way because
Gentoo is a little more tedious to install when compared with Arch's
simplicity - no flame here, just the facts.
So far what I saw at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Install_Scripts
is really neat!
I must say I did not install any Arch that way yet, but it seems trivial to
do
that following wiki's instructions and -most important- the possibility to
install
the system by chrooting it -so you can installing everything else before the
first boot- just rocks.
On the other hand I don't think this can drive any new user away more than
if
we continue using the traditional AIF procedure because, and let's be real
on
this, the average 'final' user is even affraid of using something like AIF
(I hear
that all the time); but on the contrary, more technical people who wants to
dive into GNU/Linux and learn about Arch will have no problem to follow
simple instructions to install their system.

What I do expect to see -actually I really would like to see- in the
installation
media are both the "Arch Install Scripts" wiki article plus the "Beginner's
Guide"  --  but also the "Unofficial Beginner's Guide" would be a welcome
bonus.

Cheers!

--
-msx