[arch-general] Quick question about post-MBR gap?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 17:01:39 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net> wrote:
> On 07/18/2012 12:46 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:40 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I am planning a test install using the new arch-install-scripts via the
>>> latest netinstall images from releng (from today's date).
>>>
>>> I know that for a system where I blow away all previous disc partitions and
>>> partition from scratch I can create a 2MiB partition (using MBR and NOT GPT
>>> partitioning) before the first formatted partition on the HD and install
>>> grub2 during the base install. However can someone please tell me
>>> explicitly if, for a system with only BIOS (no UEFI at all), and no GPT
>>> partitioning but just plain old MBR partitioning - is the recommended 2MiB
>>> post-MBR gap still a "requirement" for that specific situation for grub2 to
>>> work?
>
> I use grub2 with msdos partitioning and no gap.

Thank you - though I am ignorant about whether at some point in the
future the gap would be a "requirement" and whether the core.img may
get large and cause an issue - certainly I use another distro on a
server where grub2 is the bootloader with BIOS and standard
partitioning and it also has no problems at all  though in that case
the core.img file is in a directory in /boot - but having seen dire
warnings on various web pages I wanted someone who knew to confirm
that grub2 in the old style BIOS and disk partitioning would continue
to work into the future or not!

--
mike c